Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: Saving Grace by Ciara Geraghty


Hachette Books Ireland
2008
440 pages
One minute I'm in a long term, if long distance, relationship with Shane. The next I'm waking up in bed beside Bernard O'Malley, geek almighty and newest member of the IT department.
Another entry in a list of mistakes. The worst was Spain. What I did there. And what happened to my brother Patrick. Ever since that night things have been spiralling out of control.
But what can a girl do except dust off her stiletto boots, have a sneaky cigarette and face another day...
I sometimes wonder though, who would be there to save me if I can't save myself?
I took this book out from the library and I loved it so much, that I'm going to have to order my own copy from Amazon. This is by far, the best chick lit book I have ever read. It's not just funny, it's piss your pants, laugh out loud funny. And Grace isn't just a character you'll like, she's someone you'll love.
The story, set in contemporary Dublin, opens up with a Prologue giving us a glimpse of what did happen in Spain with Grace and her brother Patrick. Fast forward to the present and Grace is waking up besides Bernard O'Malley, geek extraordinaire. Everything soon spins out of control and finally comes to a head at her sister's wedding.
This fabulous book is not only funny but heartbreaking as well as we watch Grace try to reach out to her mother, who is difficult at best and haunted by what happened in Spain. Single-handedly, she's trying to keep her relationship with Shane afloat despite the explosive chemistry between her and the geek, Bernard. She smokes too much, she drinks too much and she eats all the wrong foods- but you can't help but love her and cheer her on. And the supporting cast of characters are all oddballs and just as hilarious.
On a final note, I'd like to add that as an aspiring writer, Geraghty is the type of writer I'd like to be. But after reading this, I realize I am light years away from this. It made me want to give up writing and spend the rest of my life face down in my bed, that's how good it is.
If you like chick lit, you'll love this.
5/5

1 comment:

  1. LOL at this bit:"It made me want to give up writing and spend the rest of my life face down in my bed". See? You ARE as good!
    I loved Saving Grace too - have just started 'Becoming Scarlett' which is Ciara's next one - so far, so good (but not AS good I have to say). I remember LOVING Grace's mother in SG. Get writing girl!

    ReplyDelete